While it is appropriate to derive inspiration from the work of other professionals, plagiarism is unacceptable. Please only submit entries that are substantially original work from your organization.
- External Newsletter or Magazine — A regularly produced newsletter or magazine distributed to residents, businesses, or other groups of external customers (submit two different issues).
- Report — A printed material used as an official year-end summary for the governing body including, but not limited to, annual reports, water quality reports, and economic development reports.
- Flyers, posters — A single sheet printed material.
- Special Publication — A printed material not fitting into other categories including, but not limited to, brochures, recreation catalogs, and guides.
Please note: A video should be entered in ONE category deemed as the best fit by the municipality using the descriptions below. The same video cannot be entered in multiple video categories, except Best Use of Humor.
- Public Service Announcement (Educational) — AA public service announcement of any length that is an original program and used to inform and/or educate viewers on a topic of public interest (Examples: budget, water conservation, flu shots).
- Public Service Announcement (Marketing) — A public service announcement of any length that is an original program and used to market or promote an event, program (Examples: marketing campaign, beautification program, 4th of July Celebration, Founder’s Celebration).
- Regular or Recurring Program — A locally produced program broadcast according to a repeating schedule on a government cable channel. To be considered for this category, a program must have at least four (4) episodes a year. The entry should include two episodes.
- Special or One-Time Program — A special or one-time and original program. (Examples: Veterans Day event, human interest story, storm recovery efforts).
- Best Use of Humor — Any video product that uses humor prominently to promote the message. (A video entered in this category also may be entered in one additional video category.)
I. Technological Services
- Electronic Newsletter or Magazine — A regularly-produced electronic newsletter or magazine developed for digital distribution to external customers (submit three different issues and a CD, jump drive, or URL).
- Website — The web-based program/product used by the governing body, a department/division or special program or initiative.
- Best Use of Social Media (Planned) —The overall strategic use of recognized social media platforms as part of a planned strategy to communicate with or engage residents, including the promotion of an event, initiative, awareness program or other strategic campaign.
- Best Use of Social Media (Unplanned) — The use of recognized social media platforms to communicate with or engage residents in an unplanned or emerging situation.
- Electronic Report — An official year-end summary for the governing body including, but not limited to, annual reports, water quality reports, and economic development reports, developed primarily for digital distribution.
- Plan or Campaign — A coordinated campaign intended to promote a specific program, event, or other local government function.
- Most Creative with Least Dollars — Programs and materials that generate the biggest impact with the fewest resources expended.
- Best Use of Promotional Item — Best use of item for promotional purposes.
V. Internal Communications
Any communication tool (printed, electronic, video, program, special event, etc.) that communicates within the organization.
VI. Special Events
- Best One-Time Special Event — One-time event that accomplishes a set of goals established for that event.
- Best Recurring Special Event — Recurring event that accomplishes a set of goals established for that event.
VII. Best Media Relations
Entries should explain and demonstrate the use of creative media relations.
VIII. Best Use of Photography
Best use of Photography in print or electronic communications. This can be a single photograph or a series of photographs.
IX. Communications Planning
A communications plan for an organization with specific goals and objectives.
X. Innovation Award
Any communication tool that pushes the limits of creativity or technology to reach an intended audience.
XI. Best Small Shop
This category will recognize the best overall small communications shops for the outstanding work they are doing every day. Organizations with no more than two communications professionals in their main communications shop are eligible to enter and must enter projects that fit four of the following six categories:
- Social Media Campaign
- Video/Photography/Graphic Design
- Electronic or Print Newsletter/Report/Magazine/Special Publication
- Marketing Plan/Campaign
- Internal Communications
- Communications Planning