TAMIO membership is available in four categories – General, Affiliate, Associate, and Student.
- General Membership – Any person employed by a municipal or county government engaged in activities directed toward public information, who resides within the state of Texas.
- Affiliate Membership – Any person employed by a government or quasi-government agency other than municipal and acting as an information specialist. This person shall enjoy all privileges of the association except to vote or hold office.
- Associate Membership — Any person associated with a private or commercial entity that regularly conducts business with local government agencies within Texas in the area of communications. This person shall enjoy all privileges of the association except to vote or hold office.
- Student Membership – Any student who has completed 12 or more hours at a junior college or university toward a communication degree. This person enjoys all privileges of the association except to vote or hold office.
- Legacy Membership – Any past member of the organization who has left the municipal communications field and does not reasonably fall under the Affiliate or Association membership categories. This person shall enjoy all privileges of the Association except to vote or hold office.
- Agency Membership – Any municipal or county governing body or agency thereof, or any non-local governmental or quasi-governmental agency as described in Affiliate Membership. The member agency is able to name as many as five (5) current employees as active members of the Association, with all privileges of the Association as listed under General or Affiliate membership as described above.